Benefits Claims for Chronic Injury, Illness or Pain
The right to workers' compensation is not limited to traumatic injury cases, such as falls from heights or traffic accidents involving truck drivers. It also protects workers with chronic medical conditions related to occupational illness, stress or toxic exposure. If you need advice about your eligibility for California workers' compensation based on chronic pain or injury, such as a job-related carpal or cubital tunnel problem, contact the Law Offices of Vincent J. Scotto, III.
Free Consultations in San Mateo County and Contra Costa County
With offices in San Mateo and Martinez, we advise Bay Area workers' compensation clients about their legal options for a wide range of disabling conditions that reflect physical damage over time rather than a single accident:
- Repetitive stress injury
- Respiratory problems related to asbestos or silica dust
- Illnesses related to "sick building syndrome" involving the circulation of toxins or allergens through an office building ventilation system
- Loss of hearing or eyesight through years of exposure to noise, bad lighting or other stresses
- Neurological problems such as fibromyalgia or complex regional pain syndrome
- Organ damage or failure due to chemical or toxic exposure over time
Over the last few years, our lawyers have seen an increase in the success rate for workers' compensation claims based on chronic injury, illness or pain related to job stresses. Workplace safety has tended to deteriorate as state and federal inspection and enforcement budgets have declined.
Many employers also seem to assume that foreign-born workers in dangerous occupations will not file workers' compensation claims for fear of interference with visa status or other immigration problems. If you are a foreign worker, you should be aware that the fact of a workers' compensation case by itself protects you from unfavorable attention by the immigration authorities.